Welcome! ようこそ!

I set up this blog to hopefully introduce those outside Japan to some of Japan's best music and a taste of Osaka and Kyoto's thriving underground music scene.

Alot of what I post will be CDR's and CD's sold by bands on the Kyoto/Osaka live circuit. Hopefully giving a little exposure to the bands outside Japan. The rest will be Japanese bands from pretty much any and every generation and genre. From 60's Rock'n'Roll and folk to 00's noise and electronica.

If anyone has an issue with me uploading their music please contact me and I'll remove the links immediatley. My intention is to introduce this music to new audiences. So please help support these bands by buying their releases or catching them live if you have the opportunity. Alot of these guys are working full time jobs on top of making great music. Please send comments, complaints, recommendations and seasonal greetings to stinkinhippy@hotmail.com

Thursday 8 November 2012

Chinchilla Silas Hole - Chinchilla (チンチラシラスホール - ちんちら)


I've posted about this Kyoto trio before as one of my favourite bands of 2010. (I liked them so much I even recruited their drummer into my own band.). The band are currently on hiatus due to work constraints but hopefully the band get back to playing regularly in the not to distant future as they showed a great deal of promise.

In my previous post I bemoaned their lack of recorded output and resorted to posting some of the bands bootleg recordings. Well it seems the band took it to heart and put out a CD-R of studio recordings mid-last year. The recording quality although a little underwhelming is at least clear and clean.

The drum, bass and vocals trio have a very distinctive style that is a little hard to describe.. Coming off as a quirky fusion of early Red Hot Chilli Peppers fused with a healthy dose of punk and occasional ramblings into noise territory. It's weird, catchy as hell and at the same time extremely natural sounding. The vocals are one of the most standout elements of the band as singer "Lighter"raps, rants and jabberwockies about his obsession with pets aresholes (See track 2 "Ano ana - That hole") and other such jibberish ramblings over basslines that hop scotch their way between funk breakdowns and punk workouts.    

With the band on hiatus and them only making about 50 copies of the CD (Nicely packaged in a shiny cardboard sleeve with artwork by vocalist lighter by the way) I'm not sure if the band are still selling the CD but feel free to contact either me or the band if you are intersted in tracking down your own copy. Enjoy!  

Youtube
Myspace
Download

No comments:

Post a Comment