Welcome! ようこそ!

I set up this blog to hopefully introduce those outside Japan to some of Japan's best music and a taste of Osaka and Kyoto's thriving underground music scene.

Alot of what I post will be CDR's and CD's sold by bands on the Kyoto/Osaka live circuit. Hopefully giving a little exposure to the bands outside Japan. The rest will be Japanese bands from pretty much any and every generation and genre. From 60's Rock'n'Roll and folk to 00's noise and electronica.

If anyone has an issue with me uploading their music please contact me and I'll remove the links immediatley. My intention is to introduce this music to new audiences. So please help support these bands by buying their releases or catching them live if you have the opportunity. Alot of these guys are working full time jobs on top of making great music. Please send comments, complaints, recommendations and seasonal greetings to stinkinhippy@hotmail.com

Thursday 27 October 2011

Capuchin - Takaramachi (Capuchin - 宝町)

Well it's time to put my money where my mouth is I guess. This is actually my own album. Capuchin was a solo project I started shortly after coming to Japan. Inspired by the sights and sounds around me in my new enviroment I set about trying to fuse my field recordings with live instrumentation and to try and use sound collages as a part of the music. I was listening to alot of Four Tet and Manitoba/Caribou at the time so it has a "Folktronica" feel to it. Though almost all of the instrumentation is from live recorded instruments rather than samples which were then later chopped up and looped etc. The recordings date back to around 2005/2006 but the album was put out by Easel a Japanese sub-division of Prefuse 73's own Eastern Developments label in late 2008.

The title "Takaramachi" refers to the name of the neighbourhood in which a group of my Japanese friends shared a flat together. Around the time the label decided to release the album the friends, many of whom had been close friends ever since kindergarten went their seperate ways after getting married, changing jobs etc etc and genrally being caught up by lifes ebb and flow. So I named the album after the flat as a nostalgic tribute.

Buy
Download
Official
Myspace

2 comments:

  1. HI Capuchin , Thanks for sharing this great album with us , Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to hear your album, please come back...

    ReplyDelete