Welcome! ようこそ!

I set up this blog to hopefully introduce those outside Japan to some of Japan's best music and a taste of Osaka and Kyoto's thriving underground music scene.

Alot of what I post will be CDR's and CD's sold by bands on the Kyoto/Osaka live circuit. Hopefully giving a little exposure to the bands outside Japan. The rest will be Japanese bands from pretty much any and every generation and genre. From 60's Rock'n'Roll and folk to 00's noise and electronica.

If anyone has an issue with me uploading their music please contact me and I'll remove the links immediatley. My intention is to introduce this music to new audiences. So please help support these bands by buying their releases or catching them live if you have the opportunity. Alot of these guys are working full time jobs on top of making great music. Please send comments, complaints, recommendations and seasonal greetings to stinkinhippy@hotmail.com

Tuesday 13 September 2011

TOKYOBOREDOM ∞ SUNRAIN

I meant to post this a while ago but never got round to it. For the Tokyo Boredom In Kyoto festival back in July the organisers teamed up with Tokyo based independent music store Sunrain Records to create a free CDR compilation featuring the festivals lineup. The CD was given away to those who attended the festival and to those who ordered records from Sunrain during July. Most of the festivals bands get represented here and a majority of the contributed tracks are exclusive songs or versions of songs unavailable anywhere else.

As for the festival itself it went very well. The rather small capacity venue capacity at Kyoyo Club Metro just about managed to squeeze in the relatively large crowds and the 2 stage, seemless band switch overs went smoother than an ice cold Guiness on a summers day. While there were no major surprises Watushi Zombie take away top prize for the loudest set and shortest stage dive of the night (The drummer cleared about 3 feet before being unceremoniously planted in the ground.) Kyushu band Velocityut claim the award for shortest set with a chaotic 4 minute rampage that left most people dazed and confused. Lamest band of the festival goes to Trip Men whose Justin Beiber-does-Linkin Park-faux-punk impressed only the 3 moist thighed girls who actually stuck around to watch their set and just came across as awkward and embarrasing to everyone else. Biggest surprise goes to Tokyo's Worst Taste. One of the few bands on the bill that I didn't already know and who managed to really impress me. And finally an honourable mention to Yolz In The Sky who've over the years refined their disco punk sound into something that sounds more akin to electro house music than any sort of punk band. I still prefer their old sound but it's great to see a band continuing to develop and evolve their own sound and pursue it to it's most extreme conclusion.

All in all great show with the only dissapointment being the lack local up and coming and less well established bands. It would have been a perfect showcase for the next generation of bands carrying the torch of Japan's gonzo underground.

There's also a ton of footage from the festival over at the youtube channel. Be sure to check out the Bonanzas and Yolz videos.

Download

7 comments:

  1. Awesome to see a good word on this event. Before heading home, I was able to stay in Tokyo for a day and at Disk Union there was a whole display with Tokyo Boredom bands on display. I now regret not getting more of the stuff displayed there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many awesome bands on this! I have been trying to locate an album by Bossston Cruizing Mania since I first gave their track a listen. I can't seem to find any place online to actually buy the album from. Any advice? Or would you be able to post some more of their work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The band put out 2 studio albums in the late 90's but since then have only made self-released CDRs. You can get their albums and some of their CDRs from Sunrain Records. Try searching for "Bosston Crusing Mania". I'm not sure if it's an error in the listing or if the band eventually modified their name.

    I posted a pair of their CDRs a while back. "In Dub/No Dub" a while back. Trying clicking on the band list on the right and it should show up. I also have another live CDR of theirs which they put out this year. I'd be happy to upload it and send you the link if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be really grateful if you were able to upload another one of their albums! Unfortunately the "In Dub/No Dub" link isn't working anymore (or at least it isn't for me right now).

    It is moments like these that I really wish I were fluent in the language! Worst case scenario, it looks like I'd be able to order the studio releases via jp amazon. With that said, if it weren't for you I never would have heard of half of the Japanese music I listen to. As always, thank you dude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I re-uploaded the "In Dub/No Dub" CDs so the link should be working again now.

    I also found out that they actually have another studio album coming out in November called "Loaded, Lowdead & Rawdead". It's also actually their 4th proper album. They apparently released a 3rd album in 2004. I may have to track that one down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you mind re-uploading?

    ReplyDelete